Wednesday, November 21, 2007

More good stuff...


So tomorrow I’m heading up to Rome. I’m excited because I haven’t been there for a while and the weather is supposed to be great. I “sort of” have plans for Thanksgiving. I’m meeting up with a coworker and his wife in Rome since we’ll be at the same hotel for the same meeting Friday morning. I say sort of because neither of us is sure when we will be at the hotel and where we can go to eat. I hope it works out.

I’m also excited because I should be taking the train during the day so I’ll try to get some photos along the way. My biggest worry is NaBloPoMo! What if I don’t have time to find an Internet café and make a post Friday or Saturday? I could blow it all right here! At worst I’ll just pop into a café and say, “All is well, wish you were here and the Pope says ciao” and there won’t be any photos. Then I should be back in Brindisi Sunday so I can fill you in. I could drag out the photos from Rome and make the last few days of NaBloPoMo easy.

I also hope to do some Christmas shopping up there. After all IT IS that time of year! There is much more of a selection in the shops in Rome but I need to make sure I don’t get ripped off! And that’s frickin’ easy these days with the dollar trading even lower against Euro. I think a lot of my Christmas shopping will have to wait until I’m back in the US, right before Christmas. So maybe I should say I’ll be window shopping this weekend and trying to get some ideas. Man, do I need some ideas, as my friends and family have to be tired of getting olive oil and cheap wine as presents. I have to come up with something else. Last year was great though because I packed a 5 liter metal drum of my favorite olive oil in my big suitcase. It made it back to the US with no leaks (but it did have a big dent in it like they tried to bust it). Then I bought some glass bottles at World Market (made in Italy too) and proceeded to divide up the oil between several people. I could try that again. I won’t try bringing in a salami from Norcia again as that was taken away by the mean Customs guy in Newark. He probably enjoyed it. Bastardo.

Brindisi also has a new place to eat. It’s not really a restaurant. It’s something I never thought I would see in this town. The name is “Hara” and they call it a “Finger Food/Sushi Bar”. That’s right kids we have ourselves a Sushi bar in Brindisi. I haven’t been in it yet. I asked my neighbor if she wanted to go (because she’s the only one I know that would try something like this) and she said yes but then hedged when came to deciding what night. I think she had second thoughts. Maybe we’ll go after one of us has heard something good about it. It shouldn’t take long for word to spread. It’s a small town.

6 comments:

Kent and Lori said...

Jeffo, Chocolate is cheaper in Italy even with the exchange rate. And we never tire of olive oil and wine.

Kent and Lori said...

ps Have fun in Rome. Remember the last time you were in Rome on Thanksgiving? It was with us and Carol. we left Rome on Thanksgiving, visited Pompeii, then returned to Brindisi to have dinner at Nello's place. ahhhh. I wish I was there!

Roam2Rome said...

That's so funny! I'm here picturing the mean customs guy eating the salami :) I love sushi!

Does your company really pay dollars while you have to spend Euros? That's not good...

Enjoy Thanksgiving in Rome! I'm jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

Gifts I've put together from those mixed cooking herbs and rubs that you find in the markets have been very well appreciated. Buy in bulk and then divide into pretty containers. Also works with dried porcini mushrooms.Another time I gave Bergamott fragrance spray to all the girls on my gift list....but that's from Calabria... dunno if you have it in Puglia. happy shopping

Jeff Gromen said...

Lo,
Lucky for you Sara at misadventures has given me some ideas on new types of Chocolate to to try. And yes I remember that trip. Driving up to Rome we couldn't believe how close to were to Pompeii so on the way back we had to stop.

R2R,
I left out the funny comment from the customs guy. He said, with a straight face, "Go over there and show that guy your salami." I wanted to bust out laughing but I might not have been home for Christmas!
I have a cost of living adjustment that's designed to take into account the exchange rate but it lags behind. The dollar is supposed to go up and down not just down. Things aren't as bad as I make it out. I just want it to go back to the way it was.

Anon,
I worry that anything that "smells" may bring the drug dogs down on me. But I do know some people that would like something like that and it would be soooo easy to pack. Thanks,


Jeff

Stelle in Italia said...

yeah, you gotta be careful with the meat. i've never brought home meat, but they never believe me (i'm a freakin' vegetarian!), and they always go through all of my bags to check. last time they thought there was meat in the orecchiette! idiots!

good luck with nablopomo! and have a great time in roma!