So I brook down and did it, finally. Something I never, ever thought I would do but I could see coming for some months now. My old fashioned midwestern values gave in to the influence of Italy, again.
What did I do last night?
I admit it.
I bought a “European Carry All” to quote Seinfeld.
That’s right. I bought a man purse. I have many reasons for doing this and it doesn’t make me gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that!
OK, here are my rationalizations for the purse, I mean bag:
1. I have two cell phones to carry and I’m thinking about getting a third.
2. The pants I buy in Italy seem to be tighter and things don’t fit in the pockets very well.
3. It’s summer and I don’t have a jacket with pockets to carry stuff.
4. I would like to have my digital camera with me more often.
5. When I can fit my phones in my pockets it doesn’t look good. Is that a Nokia in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
6. Many men have them here so I won’t be laughed at or beat up over this. Besides, I’ve been going to the gym so I could probably beat up anybody that makes fun of me. “C’è cazzo mi sta wuardi?” (What the hell are you looking at? in Brindisino)
7. I can now carry my sunglasses case and stop beating up the most expensive pair of sunglasses that I’ve ever owned. Although, that’s not saying much if you know my past.
8. It may actually help me stay more organized. Wait, I guess it could lead to more disorder. I can hear myself saying; “I know that was in my bag yesterday!”
9. I will feel more Italian as no American man would carry a bag.
Maybe I’ll put up a photo of it sometime when I’m more comfortable with it. Feel free to add to my list of why it’s ok for me to carry a bag!!