Monday, December 18, 2006

The Missing Statues?


This photo is of the main duomo in Brindisi before a major renovation of the exterior started this summer. I was walking past a newsstand and saw a headline that said “Le Statue Distrutte”. I couldn’t believe what I read so I went past the duomo myself this weekend and it’s true. The 4 statues you see on top of the duomo in this picture are gone. The scaffolding is almost gone and the church looks great but I can’t believe these statues are not going to come back. The newspaper article is very short and gives no details. It seems that “Striscia La Notizia” will be doing a story on it this week. This TV program is a comedy but they expose some very real problems in Italy. So I’ll be watching Striscia to find out the rest of the story.
I did find out that the statues aren’t that old. Maybe someone decided that they were a recent addition that didn’t fit with the historical style of the church. The original church was finished 1143 and then rebuilt in 1743 after an earthquake. The statues, it seems, didn’t come along until 1957 if what I read is true. Do they belong?

No comments: