Friday, October 19, 2007

Get out your scarves!

Well the weekend is just about here and I can’t wait. Tonight Marco Russo is playing at a pub called, Mr. Browns. This will be THE first time I’ve ever heard him play and I will be merciless in the review on Monday. I’m also looking forward to the Rugby World Cup Finals if I can see it (most TVs will be tuned to Soccer!). I saw New Zealand loose a few weeks ago and caught South Africa crushing Argentina last weekend so I’m interested in who wins it all. I was impressed with South Africa who has a player with just incredible speed. He looks like an Olympic sprinter, but bigger. Also this weekend Formula 1 has it’s final race and it actually means something. There are 3 drivers that could win the Championship in the final race. Personally I just like watching the start of the race. That’s when they really mix it up. After that there’s no passing. My prediction is: if anyone other than Lewis Hamilton wins then that means someone sabotaged him. It is too strange that in the race two weeks ago this rookie who has driven incredibly well then suddenly, “accidentally” drives off the track and gets stuck in the gravel while going in to the pits. Please. I don’t want to start a controversy but I think something fishy is going on. Actually the story of Formula 1 this year would make a good movie. There was a big spying scandal between the top 2 teams. The two-time World Champion driver is loosing to a rookie driver AND they’re even on the same team. And on top of that THE team owner is not speaking to his World Champion driver but he loves the rookie. Sounds like there are some real characters here. Throw in a love story and someone dealing with a drug addiction and you have another "Stroker Days of Talledega Nights" but on an international scale.
The weather was nice all week so naturally it’s taking a turn for the worst this weekend. The grecale wind (out of the northeast) arrived this morning. It’s bringing rain and the coldest weather of the season so far. They’re even saying that there should be snow in the higher elevations of the Apennines. This isn’t good because there’s one outdoor event I want to go to and that’s the Sagra of the Olives down in Martano. It’s a long way and if the weather is questionable then I probably won’t go. But still a sagra is calling…

7 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

Sports and Music! What could be better for the week-end? That picture is hilarious! I loved it, it was your idea, wasn't it? Yes, thought so...

'A Tuscan view.....from Umbria' said...

Jeff,
I'm afraid I'm going to have to offload all my disappointment from the weekend onto you. The Grand Prix. I smell a stitch-up, and to watch Felipe massa suddenly lose all the ground to Raikkonen was one of the more obvious parts of a huge conspiracy. There must have been a big bald Italian man stroking a fluffy white cat with his finger on a machine with a red light which somehow stopped Hamilton's car just for a bit and then let it go again. Like one giant game of evil scalextric. And then there was the rugby, and then there was the football with a big, bald Russian man etc....
Julian - (A Tuscan View - from Umbria)

Jeff Gromen said...

Amen, Julian. Too strange. I think the FIA said to McClaren, "We'll let you keep racing this year even after the spy scandal if you promise to let Ferrari win the championship."

Cynthia Rae said...

It is so cold here that the cats seem stuck to the radiator. How are yours doing?

Cyn

Jeff Gromen said...

Cyn,
My cats don't seem to mind the cold weather. They have a ton of hair on their paws. I wish I had that because the tile floor is COLD! They do seem to put a couple pounds of fur for the winter. They insist on going out on the balcony.

Roam2Rome said...

...p.s. tagged you for a MeMe :)

Jeff Gromen said...

R2R,
Ok. A photo tonight and a report tomorrow.