Friday, March 17, 2006

Saint who?

Today is March 17, so big deal. Well it IS a big deal but in many different ways. To many it’s St Patrick’s Day but in Italy that’s no big deal and I don’t think they even know. No one knew last night at the bar. Sometimes I’m amazed at how little Europeans know about their neighbors. I know St. Patrick’s Day and Oktoberfest are popular in America because we have so many immigrants but still I expect a little more news to cross borders here in a few hundred years. So today is not important to Italians except….
It’s Friday the 17th!!!!!! Seventeen is bad luck in Italy and Friday the 17th is like Friday the 13th to us. I think I’ve written about this before. But there is good news. Sunday is San Giuseppe’s Day. This is very simple and basic festival. If you are named Giuseppe, one of the most popular male names in Italian, you are supposed to buy a little pastry called a “Suppina” for friends and family. These pastries are only made this time of year for this festival. I plan to buy one tomorrow and get a picture of it for the blog. So I guess the Friday the 17th is unlucky because then San Giuseppe falls on a Sunday so none of the Giuseppes at work will have to bring in the Suppinas. Festival and holidays in Italy do not get moved to the nearest Monday or Friday like in America except for Good Friday and Pasquetta (the Monday after Easter) but those holidays revolve around Easter, which is always Sunday so…

No comments: