Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Amsterdam Weekend Write Up

Well I had a weekend that I won’t soon forget. At the last minute I decided to go to Amsterdam. Why well I’ve never been there and it’s one of those places I said I must see while I’m in Europe. I think it’s on the “must see” grand tour of Europe…right? I also hadn’t been outside of Italy in a while, well except to go home to the US. I needed to get back on my schedule to see all of Europe while I’m here. This city didn’t disappoint as it has its own special madness. Look at the photo below. Cars parked on the brink of falling in a canal and bikes, oh the bikes. They’re everywhere and they seem to just be cruising along at a reasonable speed until you walk into the wrong area of the sidewalk and they almost run you down. See in Amsterdam the bikes have there own paths, everywhere. Everything is in their way, except maybe the trams, which are also trying to run you down. I couldn’t understand why the tram tracks are going right through some of the plazas. You’re in a “pedestrian area” except there’s an electric tram sneaking up on you and/or a biker.
The Red Light District and drugs are well known so I won’t dwell on that here. I stayed on my path to sainthood and didn’t partake in mary jane or anything else that’s "legal". I was only there for the weekend so I just looked around the city center and saw a few museums but mainly I stayed outdoors. There are so many great sites and I will say that it was the best weekend I’ve had in a long time. It’s good to get out and explore!!! I’ll need to go back to see the dikes and windmills. I’m sad I didn’t get to see that but there should be time for that in the future. As you can see from the photo below I did get see the tulips. A nice young Italian lady stepped in front of the tulips to make the picture perfect. And I saw the wooden shoes! And…

No comments: