Monday, September 20, 2004

Weekend Fun thanks to Southern Italian Hospitality

This weekend very interesting. I went out Saturday night with a new friend at work and his wife. That alone might not sound so great but there was also with us was another married couple and TWO single women about my age. I don't need to spell out what that was all about. Now my Italian is still not very good and neither of these young ladies spoke English so on one side is was great (as they both seemed very beautiful and interesting) and on the other side it was horrible (so tough to communicate). We had a simple night of pizza, beer, and gelato in Lecce. Afterwards it's very interesting to look back on it, at the time it seemed so difficult. I can't say too much about it as I plan to go out with one of the women again and I don't want to write anything I'll regret. Maybe I'll update this story as it progresses. We'll leave it at that.

Another Item for the blog was spending Sunday with this same new friend his wife and few other people (some from work). It was just like you imagine a Sunday afternoon in Southern Italy. We went to the store for wine (we even had farmers bringing in grapes outside as we were buying wine inside) then back to his house for meal that his wife made that took probably 3 hours to eat. Everything we had I liked (although I didn't eat the dish with green peppers). I didn't have dinner that night and I barely felt like having breakfast the next day. It could have served as a Thanksgiving dinner. After lunch we headed the sea (at about 5:30 PM) and to my delight I had 5 people to throw Frisbee with (the others watched and took care of the one toddler along for the fun). This blog is for friends and family so you know how much I appreciated having people to throw with. All of them showed improvement just in the time we were on the beach. An element of risk was added when a stray dog thought the Frisbee was meant for him and he proceeded to attempt to steal it for a good 20 minutes. When it finally got too dark to throw we strolled around the temporary vendors that were setup to make some sales before the weather gets cooler. Then we had the necessary gelato, but no one was thinking about dinner. All in all it was a great day. I would have to say one of best experiences in Italy so far. One I will not forget.

No comments: