Friday, October 22, 2004

Balkan Music

Another concert at the Big Ben and it seems worthy of writing about. No, I didn’t get drunk this time and I still had a great time. This week it was a band called “Municipale Balcanica” which means Balkan Government, I think. For people in Indianapolis just imagine a band like “Polka Boy” only from Yugoslavia and they stick to “their” music. No singing just horns and drums and at a pretty hectic pace. The place was more crowded than I have ever seen and complete strangers were talking to me like they never have in past. Maybe my Italian is getting better or maybe it was the festive atmosphere. I have a picture of the band this time and I’ll put it up. Allessandro was telling me that only the Big Ben has bands like this. Other places don’t have live music from other areas. I still have to admit that the crowd was the most unusual I’ve seen. I mean this because Italians do tend to look alike down here and I think even they will admit it. But this group had more piercings, tattoos, dreadlocks, and less mainstream clothes. I don’t think a single guy was wearing a green and yellow shirt that said “Brazile” on it. Unbelievable , I know.

No comments: