Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Old Photo Album

I have a little more time to add to the blog from the weekend now that things are a little quiet at work and my sister and company have headed up to Venice and Florence. Last Sunday we stopped at a little street antique sale in Monopoli. I don’t usually look too closely but everyone else was so I lingered a little longer than normal. I made the most interesting purchase in a long time. I bought an old photo album. It is photos that a German man took between 1935 and 1938 on his trip from Germany to California, Mexico then to Brazil. It’s incredible. It’s missing some photos but the ones it has are all stories in themselves. They are all small black and white photos about 2 inches square and usually the pictures feature everyday people or landscapes. They are so interesting. There is one of a boat that has a banner that says “Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer” (One people, One rule, one ruler remember the time this was taken!) and then another boat that says “American Legion”. Who was this guy and what was he doing? The photos all have titles written by hand in white ink on thick faded black cardboard pages in German. I really could not be more excited about buying something. Maybe I’ll scan in a few pictures but I don’t even want to disturb them in the album. There are 4 photos that are not mounted in the album so maybe I’ll scan them. I feel this album is already worth 10 times what I paid for it, 20 euros!!

No comments: